The RYA Day Skipper course is for those who wish to skipper a yacht during day light hours. This is a scary thought for many and is a huge step from being a competent crew member. Lanzarote is ideal with calm, clear tidal waters, year round sunshine and an almost constant wind and beautiful clean cosmopolitan marinas. There is no where better.
The RYA Day Skipper practical course is designed to show and instruct you, on how to take command safely and confidently of a yacht in known waters by day. As a skipper you have many responsibilities.
Our knowledgeable and calm instructors will coach you in these techniques and guide you through step by step, and then you will hone your skills by skippering designated passages in the beautiful seas of Lanzarote and Fuerteventura. You will visit different anchoranges and marinas, and you will plan a passage and a pilotage plan and put it into practice. Also included is night sailing to allow you to experience the joy and awe of sailing at night as well as some of the problems in identifying different lights and landmarks at night.
If you successfully completete the course you will have shown that you are a safe and competent in skippering a yacht in known waters during the day and will be issued the RYA Day Skipper completion certificate.
This qualification will also allow you to apply for the ICC (International Certificate of Competence). This qualification is required by most charter companies to show your competence charter a yacht. The ICC, can be obtained through the RYA (free of charge if you are member).
As you can stay on the boat, for 2 extra days there is time to experience the island from the land. A must is the stunning Timanfaya Volcano, or explore one of the white washed villages. A trip to a local bodega (vine yard) to see how the local wine is made or for the more adventurous who want to go to sea again how about some sea fishing for Wahoo, Blue Merlin or Tuna.
- Its safe navigation, which includes passage planning and pilotage
- The correct sail choice
- How to berth your yacht, and leave your berth, in a variety of conditions and manners including finger pontoons and alongsides
- How to anchor and determine the correct anchorage
- Seamanship including maintenance, which includes routine engine checks, and servicing of the safety equipment on board
- Their well fair - victualling, watch keeping
- Safety of your crew - safety equipment, both boat safety equipment and personal safety equipment.
- 5 days - Sunday to Friday
Previous Experience Required
- 5 days aboard as an active crew member
- 100 recorded miles
- 4 night hours
- Theory knowledge to Day Skipper Standard
Pre course preparations
The following literature has been designed to help you with learning some of the key words you are going to hear during your course.
Please download the Pre Course reading material as a pdf file below.
Pre Course Reading Competent Crew
- Please download the Pre-course reading material here.
- Accommodation on board for the duration of the course + Friday and Saturday night at the end of the course free of charge.
- Welcome drink on arrival
- Bedding (Duvet and 2 pillows)
- Towels (Hand and bath towel)
- All breakfasts
- All lunches (including homemade cake!)
- 2 evening meals with wine
- Use of wet weather gear
- Use of lifejackets and safety lines
- All mooring fees including water and electricity
Price Per Person
|01/01/2012 - 31/03/2012||£495|
|03/11/2012 - 30/03/2013||£495|
|03/11/2013 - 31/12/2013||£495|
|01/04/2012 - 02/11/2012||£530|
|31/03/2013 - 02/11/2013||£530|
Bookings & Info
Due to our year round sunshine we run these courses 52 weeks of the year, therefore please contact me regarding availability.
Recommended RYA Books
To help you in your personal preparation for the course we can advise the following book/s.
If you click on the link it will take you directly to the RYA website to the appropriate page where you can order it and have it despatched directly to you.
|Buy RYA Day Skipper Practical Course Notes at the RYA Shop|
|Buy RYA Navigation Handbook at the RYA Shop|
|Buy Rules of the Road Cockpit Card at the RYA Shop|
|Buy RYA Sail Cruising and Yachtmaster Scheme - Syllabus and Logbook at the RYA Shop|
You will also need to have a copy of the RYA logbook, if you do not have a copy already. This can either be purchased via the RYA using the link below and bringing with you or you can purchase direct from us when you arrive for seven euros.